With the sun nearly setting on day 14 of #lockdownSA, you find yourself salivating at the thought of your favourite meal from that special restaurant you call home away from home.
Have you been cooking the same dishes over and over, or have you been channelling your inner chef? The Social Grill has been busy with the New Menu development and Chef Brad has been cooking up a storm. Stay tuned for details of the launch after we reopen our doors for some new memories.
One of our favourite dishes is the Beef Short Rib. These meaty yet juicy short ribs are braised in red wine and beef stock topped with button mushrooms and lardons. Falling off the bone and packed with a rich meaty flavour, this meal takes you back to Mom’s Sunday Lunch the moment you smell it, even before arriving at your table.
So we are sharing the recipe and have decided to run a Photo Contest.
1. Buy a R250 Zapper Voucher or more from The Social Grill.
2. Buy your Beef Rib from The Meat Guy
3. Upload your Master pieces to any Social Media Platform and tag The Social Grill with the hashtag #nothingfancy
Signature Beef Short Ribs (Serves 4)
2kg Beef Short Rib (4x500g)
2 ½ Cup Beef Stock
1 ½ Cup Red Wine
¼ Cup Flour
500g Button Mushrooms (Small)
400g Bacon (Cut into pieces)
30ml Dry White Wine
Crushed Black Pepper
Fresh Italian Parsley (Chopped)
- Heat the oven to 150°C
- Season the ribs with coarse salt and crushed black pepper.
- Over high heat, sear both sides of the seasoned beef short rib until caramelised.
- Place the beef short rib in oven deep oven proof roasting pan and cover with beef stock and red wine. For the beef stock we cook our own from scratch, but you can make use of Knorr Beef Stock Cubes. Just follow the instructions on the back of the box.
- Cover with foil and braise in the oven for three hours, turning the ribs every 30 minutes, until the meat falls off the bone.
- Remove the ribs from the roasting pan and set aside for later.
- Mix the flour with equal amounts of water to form a runny smooth paste. This will be used to thicken the braising liquid.
- Reduce the remaining braising liquid down for an hour over high heat until boiling, then lower the heat and add the flour and water mixture to thicken. When adding the mixture, do so in small amounts until the braising liquid reaches the perfect thickness and discard of the rest of the flour and water mixture.
- Do a taste test to see if you need more seasoning.
- In a separate pan over medium heat, add some butter and fry button mushrooms and bacon, then add a splash, about 80ml, of white wine to deglaze the pan.
- At the same time in a separate pan, heat the braising liquid and add the beef short rib.
- Once heated, you can start plating. Place one beef short rib in the center of the plate and drown/drizzle with the reduced braising liquid.
- Spoon the mushrooms and bacon over the ribs and sprinkle with freshly chopped Italian parsley to finish it off.
Hope you enjoy the meal and get those entries in
Winner will receive a R500 Voucher from The Social Grill and R500 voucher from The Meat Guy!